Sotheby's MayDay Charity Auction Raises $450,000 for Covid-19 Relief Efforts
SOTHEBY’S MAYDAY CHARITY AUCTION RAISES $450,000
TO BENEFIT THE INTERNATIONAL RESCUE COMMITTEE
LED BY A PRIVATE RECORDING SESSION WITH
GRAMMY AWARD-WINNING MUSICIAN STING,
WHICH SOLD FOR $137,500
100% OF SALE PROCEEDS TO SUPPORT
COVID-19 RELIEF EFFORTS IN VULNERABLE COMMUNITIES
PRESENTED IN PARTNERSHIP WITH GOOGLE TO HOST MORE THAN 20 VIRTUAL EXPERIENCES VIA GOOGLE MEET
FEATURING LEADERS IN
MUSIC, FILM, ART & DESIGN, PUBLIC AFFAIRS & MORE, INCLUDING:
Sting, Hillary Rodham Clinton, Sacha Baron Cohen,
Sir Patrick Stewart, Mumford & Sons, David Blaine, The Strokes, Madeleine Albright, Jacques Grange, Sir Paul Smith &
the People (Real and Fictional) Behind Downton Abbey
NEW YORK / LONDON 8 May 2020 – Charles Stewart, Sotheby’s CEO, commented: “We are thrilled with the outpouring of support we received for this special charity auction to raise much-needed funds for the International Rescue Committee and their Covid relief efforts. We are also extremely grateful to our partner Google for providing the support needed to bring these virtual experiences to life, as well as sincerely thankful to each participant who so generously donated their time for this important cause.”
Full list of participants and virtual experiences:
• Win a chance to record a song with Sting! You and a friend will virtually join the 17-time Grammy Award-winning artist at his home studio in England to sing one of his many hit songs together. If interested, he will also offer coaching and advice on vocal styling. The result will be a memorable recording for posterity.
• A coffee with Hillary Rodham Clinton, former U.S. Secretary of State, U.S. Senator from New York, First Lady of the United States, and longtime activist and advocate, to discuss how the Covid-19 pandemic will change the way in which we view the world and how you can help create positive change amidst this crisis.
• A Shakespearian acting lesson conducted by acclaimed screen and stage actor Sir Patrick Stewart, best known for his iconic roles as Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek and Professor X in the blockbuster X-Men film franchise.
• A hangout and conversation with actor/comedian Sacha Baron Cohen to chat about anything from writing comedy to regulating the internet.
• Coffee or tea with Madeleine Albright, former U.S. Secretary of State under President Bill Clinton, to discuss her latest book, Hell and Other Destinations, and her reflections on current global issues.
• A conversation about music with all five members of The Strokes, whose new album The New Abnormal was recently released and is scaling music charts around the word.
• This is an opportunity to be one of the first sitters for renowned British artist Marc Quinn’s new series titled Far but Near, Lockdown Irises. These new works are an evolution of Quinn's Iris Paintings, and are inspired by the current lockdown.
• A personal coaching session with Tim Ferriss, entrepreneur, author of five #1 New York Times and Wall Street Journal bestsellers, including The 4-Hour Workweek, and Tools of Titans: The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers, and host of The Tim Ferriss Show podcast.
• A virtual visit to famed Highclere Castle, where Downton Abbey was filmed, with the Earl and Countess of Carnarvon, writer and creator Julian Fellowes and actors Hugh Bonneville and Elizabeth McGovern, ‘Lord & Lady Grantham’. Highclere Castle in Hampshire, England is a Grade I listed stately home, seat of the Earl of Carnarvon. The home has famously been used as a location for both film and television for its unique history as well as its unrivalled architecture, beautifully preserved interiors and grounds. Julian Fellowes and stars from the show will join you for the ultimate insider tour of the home of Downton Abbey, delivered online.
• A private conversation with Apollo 9 astronaut Russell Schweickart, the first spacewalker of the Apollo program, and co-founder of both the Association of Space Explorers and the B612 Foundation, an organization dedicated to defending Earth from asteroid impacts.
• A conversation with David Miliband, former British Foreign Secretary and current President of the IRC.
• A discussion about the art of living and decorating with renowned decorator, interior architect and collector, Jacques Grange, from his storied Parisian apartment that once belonged to legendary writer, Colette.
• A live virtual cooking lesson with world renowned chef Heston Blumenthal. Host your own virtual dinner party and Heston will help you cook Steak & Triple Cooked Chips for your family while sharing some top tips and conversation.
• Meet up with Tour de France winner Geraint Thomas for a virtual conversation to discuss what it takes to win. From mental and physical training, dedication to competition, sportsmanship and mind over matter, find out how one of the most decorated athletes today is always striving for more.
• Join Burning Man Project CEO Marian Goodell and renowned visual artists Leo Villareal and Hank Willis Thomas for a conversation about the challenges of moving from small to larger-scale work, the role of art in civic life, and Black Rock City as a canvas for artistic experimentation. Both a cultural movement and an annual event, Burning Man has been called one of the most influential phenomena in contemporary American art and culture today.
07.06.2020 - 30.06.2021Sotheby’s Annual Irish Art Sale to be Led by Exceptional Group of Works from the Renowned...
23.06.2020 - 30.06.2021SWISS MADE UNLOCKEDA BRAND-NEW MULTI-DISCIPLINARY ONLINE AUCTIONOVER 200 LOTS | 13 COLLECTING...
30.06.2020 - 30.06.2021SOTHEBY’S LIVE GLOBAL AUCTION EVENT ACHIEVES $363.2 MILLION & ARE 93% SOLD Sotheby'...
28.07.2020 - 28.07.2021This summer, Sotheby’s London will present a one-off auction and exhibition that spans over...
28.07.2020 - 28.07.2021NEW YORK, 21 July 2020 – Sotheby’s is pleased to announce John Richardson: A Scholar...